The Senior. Mechanical Engineer provides mechanical concept and packaging design or redesign of equipment and systems ensuring cost effective systems integrity and reliability. This role provides expertise for the design of electro-mechanical products. The Sr. Mechanical Engineer is expected to define concepts from requirements analysis, and modeling. The position provides guidance to support team members in preparation of detailed design, design testing and prototype fabrication.
- Leads detailed studies, experiments, research and tests in contributing to the design and development of navigation and bridge system products to established codes, standards, drawings, specifications and customer requirements, for both commercial and military customers
- Leads the mechanical design effort based on COTS, military grade products and customized solutions which includes the approval of parts and components
- Writes and maintains Company’s mechanical engineering standards and best practices
- Trains and mentors Mechanical Engineers on Company’s mechanical standards and best practices
- Approves elements of the Company’s parts database
- Interprets, analyzes, and approves hardware requirements, hardware design documents, and ensures the proposed solution meets the stated requirements
- Prepares and approves written plans, calculations, designs, specifications and material lists
- Leads and reviews technical tasks requiring accuracy of calculations, completeness of data and adherence to prescribed methods
- Provides design information and guidance to support personnel and, occasionally to suppliers, in preparation of detailed design, design testing and prototype fabrication.
- Provides design information and guidance to support personnel and suppliers for detailed design, design testing and prototype fabrication
- Ensures that designs meet system, customer and budgetary requirements and are compliant with industry and government standards
- Clearly communicates technical and design documentation to other departments
- Through the application of Engineering expertise and analysis, ensure mechanical designs are optimized for manufacturability, weight and cost. Work closely with Production to understand, develop, and refine assembly drawings and instructions.
- Conducts and provides technical support during qualification testing. Perform engineering tests such as thermal cycling, vibration and shock testing, in the environmental test lab for both qualification and design verification testing.Design mechanical tests and test fixtures.Document and analyze results.Write formal test reports.
- Initiates and approves engineering change request (ECRs)
- Follows and promotes workplace operating and environmental, health and safety procedures and guidelines.
Due to the nature of our company, all employees must pass specific security criteria. Only candidates who are Canadian citizens or have PR status and who satisfy security clearance criteria will be considered as this role requires
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent
- 8+ years’ experience in mechanical and structural design
- Experience with the following is desirable
- Design for vibration and shock for shipboard environments.
- Design for assembly and manufacturing.
- Failure mode avoidance, such as DFMEA and design for Six Sigma.
- Design for cooling of electronics.
- Design for harsh climatic environments, corrosive environments, including MIL-STD-810
- Design of plastic, cast, sheet metal, machined and welded parts.
- Design for Human Factors, including MIL-STD-1472, such as for operator consoles
- Finite element analysis, thermal, structural and dynamic.
- Computational fluid dynamics for thermal analysis
- Familiarity with SolidWorks and AutoCAD
- Familiarity with naval platform environment is an asset
NATO secret security clearance.