OSI Maritime Systems is a Vancouver based solutions provider of advanced integrated navigation and tactical solutions to military customers for over 20 years. As a pioneer of Warship Electronic Chart Display and Information Systems (WECDIS), the company has grown to be a leading provider of integrated navigation and tactical solutions designed for naval and maritime security operations. We develop and deliver integrated bridge systems for warships, integrated dived navigation systems for submarines, and C2 systems for small craft.
OSI currently has 20 naval customers from around the world with over 600 warships and submarines operating with its world leading integrated navigation and tactical solutions. Our offices are conveniently located in Burnaby near Willingdon and Hwy 1, close to transit, bike routes and running trails. We have free parking, secure bike lock up and showers.
Due to the nature of our company, all employees must pass specific security criteria. Only candidates who are Canadian citizens or have PR status and who satisfy security clearance criteria will be considered.
The UX Designer carries individual responsibility for the successful design of the Graphical User Interface of the OSI Software Product Line. The incumbent is responsible for designing the UI, and performing usability testing on the final product. The UX Designer will evaluate user experience which will require extensive research and interactions with the customer. The incumbent should be analytical and a creative designer, who is able to grasp user needs and solve problems. A strong portfolio in the field of User Experience is essential.
• Produce High Fidelity mockups, and/or prototypes
• Analysis of existing product UI and product road maps to improve existing products
• Conduct detailed analysis of Systems Specifications with a focus on User Experience
• Review System and Software design documents and identify User Experience design problems and devise elegant solutions
• Create a cohesive style guide for the Software Product Line
• Collaborate with Developers to create intuitive, user-friendly software
• Attend ‘Implementation Meetings’ and provide feedback to demos of working software
• Conduct usability testing, with a focus on the maritime naval environment the customer will be working in
• Evaluate UX effectiveness of current and new software through customer feedback
• Make recommendations for changes to the User Experience process including defining interaction models, user task flows, end-to-end experiences, personas, and storyboards
• Works with Product Development and Marketing to incorporate a visual or brand identity into the finished product
• Help shape long-term product strategy
• Plan and conduct user research, surveys and competitor analysis
• Execute studies into User behavior and attitudes
• Interpret qualitative customer feedback and provide expertise on industry trends
• Assist in providing estimates to produce UX artifacts and complete tasks
• Reviews documentation developed by the Technical Writing group, and provides input/validation
• Provides mentorship to Software Engineers, including topics related to creating user stories, personas, and storyboards and the software field of user experience
• Complies with OSI’s established ISO-9001-compliant development guidelines and standards
• Follows and ensures workplace operating and environmental, health and safety procedure and guideline compliance
• Degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or UX related certification
• 6 - 10 years’ experience as a User Experience Designer; experience in designing and/or developing real-time human machine interfaces; experience working in an ISO 9001 compliant software engineering environment would be an asset; experience in the naval, defense or aerospace domains is an asset
• Fluent in user-centered design best practices; Adept at handling and analyzing both quantitative and qualitative data; ability to lead the analysis and design of solutions for user experience; ability to estimate and plan user experience activities; excellent verbal and written communication skills; ability to learn quickly and work well under pressure in a high paced, challenging environment; excellent team work skills
• Background in user/system safety, performance, and human factors; occasional travel; knowledge of marine navigation concepts and systems is an asset