OSI Maritime Systems is a Vancouver based solutions provider of advanced integrated navigation and tactical solutions to military customers for over 20 years. As a pioneer of Warship Electronic Chart Display and Information Systems (WECDIS), the company has grown to be a leading provider of integrated navigation and tactical solutions designed for naval and maritime security operations.
We develop and deliver integrated bridge systems for warships, integrated dived navigation systems for submarines, and C2 systems for small craft. OSI currently has 20 naval customers from around the world with over 600 warships and submarines operating with its world leading integrated navigation and tactical solutions. Our offices are conveniently located in Burnaby near Willingdon and Hwy 1, close to transit, bike routes and running trails. We have free parking, secure bike lock up and showers.
Due to the nature of our company, all employees must pass specific security criteria. Only candidates who are Canadian citizens, have PR status or have a citizenship from a NATO country, and who satisfy security clearance criteria, will be considered.
The Junior Software Administrator supports OSI’s software deployment and configuration activities. The Software Administrator’s core responsibility is to ensure the OSI integrated bridge software is configured with project customization's and is ready for deployment in advance of System Integration.
The Junior Software Administrator will produce a configuration plan for each project. The work will include filling out a license request form, and producing and working with existing deployment PowerShell scripts. The job entails working in a large lab environment and setting up processors in a distributed system.
Travel and self-management are a necessity. Working in naval environments such as in shipyards, and performing administrative tasks on ships and on submarines all over the world. Strong technical skills are a necessity, as scripting and tool administrative duties are required. Strong communication skills are a necessity for interfacing and collaborating with multi-disciplinary project teams when configuring the software. The Software Administrator must provide support for multiple projects in parallel, strong prioritization skills and organization of activities is a must have.
Nice to have skills for the position are as follows, the ability to produce Network diagrams and routing tables for the system, and to provide administration expertise on Windows user accounts and security topics such as firewalls, lock downs and malware prevention.
- Support the Projects by providing customization expertise on all OSI Software applications
- Grow and maintain an ongoing comprehensive understanding of the product configuration from an operational and technical perspective
- Grow knowledge of the System for the assigned projects to understand the network and configuration needs through reviews of the system design and system interface documents
- Produce generic and project specific configuration documentation (spreadsheets) to assist the long term maintenance of the software
- Fill out licensing request forms and support the production of software licenses
- Produce vessel shape configuration files from ship drawings or schematics using an in house tool
- Write, Run and Maintain PowerShell scripts to automate the remote deployment of the software and configuration for the project
- On occasion travel to ship environments to support configuration and troubleshooting activities
- Troubleshoot, Diagnose and Solve issues with both hardware and software configuration, and capture dump files and logging details from system crashes unrelated to configuration.
- Have strong written communication skills and produce key artifacts for planning, configuration documentation.
- Regularly report status on tasks to the Software Project Support Lead
- Ensure that Company engineering and ISO 9001 procedures and policies are adhered to at all times and all exceptions are immediately reported
Diploma or Degree in Information Technology, or Computer Science.
Experience in a software and systems projects in engineering is an asset; Knowledge of marine navigation and military concepts is an asset; Experience working in an ISO 9001 compliant software engineering environment is an asset
Knowledge of system administration, networking and software configuration best practices; Ability to understand and work with complex systems and software; Ability to multi task and to take initiative; Excellent verbal and written communication skills; Demonstrates Professionalism; Ability to learn quickly and work well under pressure in a high paced, challenging environment; Ability to self-manage, prioritizing work, seeing the gaps of work that need to be done with little direction. Knowledge of marine navigation concepts and systems is an asset.
Ability to obtain and maintain security clearance; Ability to travel, and to work on a naval ship or submarine