OSI Maritime Systems is a Vancouver based solutions provider of advanced integrated navigation and tactical solutions to military customers for over 20 years. As a pioneer of Warship Electronic Chart Display and Information Systems (WECDIS), the company has grown to be a leading provider of integrated navigation and tactical solutions designed for naval and maritime security operations. We develop and deliver integrated bridge systems for warships, integrated dived navigation systems for submarines, and C2 systems for small craft.
OSI currently has 20 naval customers from around the world with over 600 warships and submarines operating with its world leading integrated navigation and tactical solutions. Our offices are conveniently located in Burnaby near Willingdon and Hwy 1, close to transit, bike routes and running trails. We have free parking, secure bike lock up and showers.
Due to the nature of our company, all employees must pass specific security criteria. Only candidates who are Canadian citizens or have PR status and who satisfy security clearance criteria will be considered.
The Software Engineer 3 designs, develops, and troubleshoots software programs for computer based systems. The incumbent participates in design meetings, assists in providing estimates, and may provide guidance or mentor junior staff members. The Software Engineer 3 carries individual responsibility for the successful implementation of software modules that have been assigned. As a member of the Software Engineering team, the incumbent carries collective responsibility for the successful implementation of the Company’s software product releases and systems.
• Designs, writes code, completes programming, and performs the testing and debugging of applications
• Assists in preparing design proposals to reflect costs, time and alternative actions to satisfy existing and future needs
• Assists in the analysis of systems specifications and supports the development and documentation of designs that meet requirement standards
• Identifies, analyses, and resolves diverse software inadequacies
• May participate in product design meetings, preparing requirements and design specifications
• Assists in providing estimates to meet customer needs
• Ensures assigned projects follow schedule and informs management of any unplanned slippage
• May review documentation developed by the Technical Writing Department and provide input/validation
• Assists with customer evaluation and testing of software products
• May provide support to the Sales & Marketing team through product demonstrations, requirements gathering and ship/site visits for tests & trials
• May provide support in the preparation of technical sales proposals including system descriptions, software estimates and technical work breakdown
• May provide technical guidance to junior staff
• Complies with OSI’s established ISO-9001-compliant development guidelines and standards
• Follows and ensures workplace operating and environmental, health and safety procedures and guideline compliance
Education: Degree in Computer Science, Electrical or Computer Engineering or Engineering Physics
Experience: 4-6 years’ experience in a software environment; experience in developing real-time interfaces to external systems; experience working in an ISO 9001 compliant software engineering environment would be an asset; experience in the defense or aerospace domains is an asset
Skills: Experience in C/C++ development under Windows in areas such as 2D/3D graphics, Open GL, TCP/IP, GPS, and real-time systems are highly desirable; ability to understand and work with complex software requirement specifications; strong theoretical and algorithmic background with experience in mathematical and/or geospatial applications; ability to assist with analysis and design of solutions for algorithmically complex requirements; excellent verbal and written communication skills; ability to learn quickly and work well under pressure in a high paced, challenging environment; strong team work skills
Other: Required to obtain security clearance; occasional travel; knowledge of marine navigation concepts and systems is an asset