In 1977, OSI introduced the first generation electronic chart system for the maritime market and revolutionized navigation. Over the years we have had many firsts. Today, OSI Maritime Systems is a leading provider of integrated navigation and tactical solutions designed for naval and maritime security operations. Among those solutions, the company develops and delivers integrated bridge systems for warships, integrated dived navigation systems for submarines, and C2 systems for small craft. Presently, 23 navies totaling more than 600 warships and submarines operate using OSI systems.
Due to the nature of our company, all employees must pass specific security criteria. Only candidates who are Canadian citizens, have PR status or have a citizenship from a NATO country, and who satisfy security clearance criteria, will be considered.
While our offices are conveniently located in Burnaby near Willingdon and Hwy 1, at OSI we take our responsibility to protect our employees very seriously therefore, due to Covid-19, the majority of our employees are working remotely. We will be constantly monitoring Government advice and will take action accordingly.
Recruiting during Covid-19
To protect our employees and candidates we have gone virtual. We reach out by phone and conduct video interviews with the hiring team. We transition from shaking hands to virtual high fives! This shall pass, remember to Be Kind, Be Calm, Be Safe.
The Mechanical Engineering Technologist, Level 3 is part of the team that develops marine navigation and bridge systems for OSI’s government and naval markets. The Mechanical Engineering Technologist is responsible for performing technical functions in support of engineering design, system configuration, testing, and production
The main responsibilities include:
- Creates and updates mechanical designs based on COTS, military grade products, and customized solutions
- Specifies parts and components to meet contract, safety, budget, schedule, availability, reliability, maintenance, and manufacturing requirements
- Prepares written plans, calculations, specifications and material lists
- Reviews designs for adherence to OSI, industry and government standards
- Clearly communicates technical and design solutions to the project team and other departments
- Works with external CAD subcontractor to provide design input, review, and integration into OSI PDM and PLM
- Participates in structural and environmental qualification testing of components and systems
- Resolves technical issues during production
- Updates and maintains the Company’s parts database
- Executes change requests (CRs) as well as providing supporting justification data
- Follows workplace operating and environmental, health and safety procedures and guidelines
- Technical Diploma or similar
- 5+ years of practical marine design experience with emphasis on design, production, installation, and support of mechanical systems
- Experience with practical design and manufacturing of metal (sheet, machined, welded) and multi-component assemblies
- Familiarity with and ability to design in accordance with Class Society Rules: DNV-GL, Lloyds, BV, ABS)
- Experience with qualification testing to civilian and military standards (IP, EMC, Vibration, Shock, Heat, Humidity)
- Ability to design in a strategic manner taking into consideration multiple stakeholders and requirements
- Proven ability to analyze and solve design and production issues
- Proficient with SolidWorks 3D Mechanical (parts and large assemblies) and SolidWorks PDM
- Proficient with PLM products
- Experience with MS Office Suite and SharePoint
- Ability to thrive as a member of a Project team
We have a Professional Development program in place that supports our employees in their career development by providing funds, time, and opportunities to become better at what they do.
At OSI you can make a difference. We are a change willing organization that is always looking for new ideas. We strive to improve what it is we do and how we do it. If you have ideas we would love to hear about them.
OSI fosters an inclusive and diverse culture. We celebrate our diversity and strive to be more inclusive because it makes us a better company.
We also offer great benefits:
- Extended healthcare
- Dental care
- Group Retirement Savings Plan
- Emergency Travel Assistance
- Employee and Family Assistance Program