In 1977, OSI introduced the first generation electronic chart system for the maritime market and revolutionized navigation. Over the years we have had many firsts. Today, OSI Maritime Systems is a leading provider of integrated navigation and tactical solutions designed for naval and maritime security operations. Among those solutions, the company develops and delivers integrated bridge systems for warships, integrated dived navigation systems for submarines, and C2 systems for small craft. Presently, 23 navies totaling more than 600 warships and submarines operate using OSI systems.
Due to the nature of our company, all employees must pass specific security criteria. Only candidates who are Canadian citizens, have PR status or have a citizenship from a NATO country, and who satisfy security clearance criteria, will be considered.
While our offices are conveniently located in Burnaby near Willingdon and Hwy 1, at OSI we take our responsibility to protect our employees very seriously therefore, due to Covid-19, the majority of our employees are working remotely. We will be constantly monitoring Government advice and will take action accordingly.
Recruiting during Covid-19
To protect our employees and candidates we have gone virtual. We reach out by phone and conduct video interviews with the hiring team. We transition from shaking hands to virtual high fives! This shall pass, remember to Be Kind, Be Calm, Be Safe.
The main responsibilities include:
- Support the Systems Engineering Manager in guiding a team that embodies the core capabilities required to achieve excellence in the marine navigation market
- Mentor and develop employees within the Systems Engineering team to foster an inclusive and professional team environment
- Cultivate and maintain a highly motivated, team oriented environment within the Systems Engineering team
- Lead the development and delivery of a technical solutions that meets the operational needs of the marine navigation market
- Ensure the completion of projects within design, budget and schedule requirements
- Develop trusted system designs, perform functional analyses, define systems architecture, define interfaces and specification, perform trade-studies and document the design by writing SSDD, ICDs, SRS
- Coordinate the design of subsystems and systems integration tests, trials and acceptance test activities
- Identify and resolve program deficiencies; develop and recommend corrective actions
- Design to government standards, including Military and IMO standards, ensuring ongoing compliance and adherence to requirements
- Facilitate participative technical project reviews with customer and manage the resolution of the resulting issues
- Manage scope of work, schedule work, estimate effort and costs and identify technical risks; effectively communicate status on a regular basis to support management
- Define and document process improvements
- Support recruitment efforts within the Systems Engineering team
- Work with regulatory agencies to ensure compliance of OSI navigation products to ISO 900, including making sure procedures and policies are adhered to at all times and all exceptions are immediately reported to the Systems Engineering Manager
- Degree in Engineering or a related analytical field or equivalent experience
- Experience in Systems Engineering; Experience in teaching, mentoring or otherwise leading a team of professionals
- Experience in marine electronics and integrated bridge systems is a significant asset;
- Experience in defense or government domain, preferably in naval ship sector is a significant asset
- Proven track record in the timely delivery of engineering related projects
- Strong knowledge of marine navigation and tactical sensors or systems; excellent knowledge of Systems Engineering principles, standards and best practices
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills; familiarity with requirements and verification management tools such as DOORS
- Knowledge of safety engineering and human factors engineering is an asset.
- Eligible to obtain and maintain a location relevant security clearance; willingness and ability to travel
We have a Professional Development program in place that supports our employees in their career development by providing funds, time, and opportunities to become better at what they do.
At OSI you can make a difference. We are a change willing organization that is always looking for new ideas. We strive to improve what it is we do and how we do it. If you have ideas we would love to hear about them.
OSI fosters an inclusive and diverse culture. We celebrate our diversity and strive to be more inclusive because it makes us a better company.
We also offer great benefits:
- Extended healthcare
- Dental care
- Group Retirement Savings Plan
- Emergency Travel Assistance
- Employee and Family Assistance Program