Company Background / Overview
In 1977, OSI introduced the first-generation electronic chart system for the maritime market and revolutionized navigation. Over the years we have had many firsts. Today, OSI Maritime Systems is a leading provider of integrated navigation and tactical solutions designed for naval and maritime security operations. Among those solutions, the company develops and delivers integrated bridge systems for warships, integrated dived navigation systems for submarines, and C2 systems for small craft. Presently, 23 navies totaling more than 600 warships and submarines operate using OSI systems. Our Software Engineering Department is a staff of 40 engineers producing many sophisticated products to meet the end users’ needs.
You can find out more on our website at https://osimaritime.com/dsei2021/
Do you like to build your own PCs? Or setup your friends WIFI? OSI is looking for Engineers with a hands-on can-do attitude. This is not your android or cloud technology company that has saturated the software market. This job requires real engineering; rolling up your sleeves and plugging in components to build large systems, and may actually require wearing a hardhat and steel toed boots at times. OSI is a Systems Company, we build large unique sophisticated distributed systems. We are a small Canadian based company, but we work with some of the largest navies in the world.
Our Software Test Engineers follow traditional engineering processes, responsible for the verification and validation of our numerous software products. A successful Software Test Engineer
performs and documents test plans, test procedures and test reports on budget and on time. Most of the testing is manual functional testing due to the nature of the large systems. These tests are planned and produced to sell off software requirements and software design by the Test Team. Culturally, the Test Team is a tight knit team of engineers that love what they do and they always have each other’s back. You will come for the interesting unique challenges, but you will stay for the great people.
OSI works primarily in the military domain, offering unique challenges to integrate with equipment such as RADARs, GPS, AIS, and Sonars, just to name a few. The incumbent must be able to obtain security clearance. Our Test Engineers have the opportunity to travel around the world performing verification tasks onboard ships and submarines.
Some of the great benefits at OSI include an RRSP matching program and a Professional Development Program to grow your career at OSI.
- Executes manual functional tests at desktop and in large distributed labs
- Completes assigned verification tasks on schedule & within budget
- Creates test plans and prepares test data
- Executes integration testing using test tools and simulators
- Produces test procedures to sell off software requirements and the design of new features
- Reports on problems encountered and raises defects
- Documents test results and produces test reports for customer delivery
- Executes and provides red line updates to regression tests when new features alter existing behavior
- Sets up desktop and lab test environments
- Reviews peers work to ensure quality
- Stays current on international standards for safe maritime navigation
- Complies with OSI’s established ISO-9001 processes, ensuring tests are under version control and artefacts are stored and recorded
- Has strong testing skills to understand how to troubleshoot, isolate defects and determine if defects are reproducible
- Must have strong English skills both written and verbal to understand the test procedures and documentation
- Must have a strong attention to detail to recognize miniscule inconsistencies
- Must take ownership of the quality of their work
- Must be able to learn quickly and have strong problem-solving skills
- Must be a Team Player
- Must be comfortable asking questions and asking for help
Preferably an accredited university degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Computer Engineering and Mathematics Degrees
JIRA, SVN, GIT, Windows 10, Windows 7
Understanding of networking basics
Would be Nice to Have
Experience in testing enterprise software with near real-time interfaces to external systems
Experience with software requirements and IBM DOORs
Working in Linux
Knowledge of Wireshark
Knowledge of Virtual Machines