In 1977, OSI introduced the first generation electronic chart system for the maritime market and revolutionized navigation. Over the years we have had many firsts. Today, OSI Maritime Systems is a leading provider of integrated navigation and tactical solutions designed for naval and maritime security operations. Among those solutions, the company develops and delivers integrated bridge systems for warships, integrated dived navigation systems for submarines, and C2 systems for small craft. Presently, 23 navies totaling more than 600 warships and submarines operate using OSI systems.
Due to the nature of our company, all employees must pass specific security criteria. Only candidates who are Canadian citizens, have PR status or have a citizenship from a NATO country, and who satisfy security clearance criteria, will be considered.
While our offices are conveniently located in Burnaby near Willingdon and Hwy 1, at OSI we take our responsibility to protect our employees very seriously therefore, due to Covid-19, the majority of our employees are working remotely. We will be constantly monitoring Government advice and will take action accordingly.
Recruiting during Covid-19
To protect our employees and candidates we have gone virtual. We reach out by phone and conduct video interviews with the hiring team. We transition from shaking hands to virtual high fives! This shall pass, remember to Be Kind, Be Calm, Be Safe.
The Technical Writer is primarily responsible for the development, authoring and publishing of OSI’s Customer deliverable Technical Manuals, such as, Integrated Navigation Bridge System (INBS) technical manuals.
The Technical Writer will collect inputs from and collaborate with various subject matter experts (SME) to author and organize technical content related to the operation, troubleshooting and maintenance of the system. The Technical Writer will also manage technical content within a centralized database and ensure that content is up to date and consistent with system design changes. The Technical Writer will execute quality assurance verifications before publishing the technical manuals in compliance with contract requirements or internal OSI requirement.
The main responsibilities are:
- Author detailed procedures based on input from various SMEs, engineering specifications, and engineering design documents.
- Format and publish technical manuals that comply with either contract requirements or internal OSI standard practices.
- Support development of an organized structure for new technical manuals based on the scope of the manual and optimal sequence and grouping of information.
- Participate in technical content reviews with SMEs as part of the quality assurance process of technical manuals.
- Execute document reviews for formatting, grammar and consistent language/terminology-use.
- Adhere to company-agreed technical documentation standards and processes.
- Support the management of technical content and configuration control of documents within a centralized database.
- Provide technical communications assistance to other departments such as Training, Proposals, Engineering, and Project Management.
- Manage quality assurance artifacts and approvals for auditing purposes.
- Ensure skill set is up to date with developments and trends in the industry, through Professional Development plans and attending training courses, as necessary.
- Post-secondary education, and/or certificate in technical writing, and/or relevant working experience.
- Training in current electronic publishing tools and Microsoft Office products.
- Two (2) years of technical writing for engineering or high-technology products and/or services.
- Clear, concise writing and editing skills.
- Advanced user of Microsoft Word.
- Ability to understand complex systems (Navigation Bridges).
- Excellent organizational skills; attention to detail and consistency.
- Knowledge of and experience with S1000D and/or IETMs is an asset.
- Experience with single-source authoring is an asset.
- Technical publication authoring experience within structured authoring environments is an asset.
- Knowledge of Simplified Technical English (STE) is an asset.
- Experience with Visio, Adobe FrameMaker, WebWorks ePublisher, MadCap Flare, SolidWorks and Jira is an asset.
- Knowledge of marine navigation concepts and systems is an asset
- Ability to obtain and maintain security clearance.
We have a Professional Development program in place that supports our employees in their career development by providing funds, time, and opportunities to become better at what they do.
At OSI you can make a difference. We are a change willing organization that is always looking for new ideas. We strive to improve what it is we do and how we do it. If you have ideas we would love to hear about them.
OSI fosters an inclusive and diverse culture. We celebrate our diversity and strive to be more inclusive because it makes us a better company.
We also offer great benefits:
- Extended healthcare
- Dental care
- Group Retirement Savings Plan
- Emergency Travel Assistance
- Employee and Family Assistance Program