The Receiver is responsible for the timely execution of all receipts for OSI Maritime Systems. The incumbent inspects, accepts, verifies, counts, and records incoming shipments. This function is the first checkpoint for all incoming shipments, compared against purchase orders and Customer Furnished Equipment (CFE) lists. The Receiver ensures that all incoming shipments are properly documented and transacted in ERP System, and maintains files as appropriate.
The main responsibilities for the role are:
- Loads and unloads shipments from carriers using forklift, pallet jack or hand-truck.
- Inspects all incoming shipments for external damage and box counts – if damaged, follows the procedure that is in place to rectify inconsistencies or issues
- Records particulars for each receipt (e.g. part numbers and serial numbers) and enters details into Receiving software system; files hardcopies of all documentation and provides copies to Accounting or other departments as required
- Coordinates put-away with Inventory Controller or other applicable personnel or department as appropriate
- Coordinates with Logistics Coordinator and acts as back-up or coverage for Shipping activities
- Maintains knowledge on Customs, Brokerage, NAFTA, Canada and U.S. Customs regulations, and Insurance to ensure the timely and efficient shipping of OSI product worldwide; sources and recommends brokers, couriers, freight forwarders and INCOTERMS2010.
- Maintains HS codes (Harmonized Item Description and Coding System) in ERP system
- Coordinates with vendors to maintain project file of CoC’s, or other certificates
- Works closely with Accounting and Project Managers to advise on receipts, contents and costs
- Tracks and traces inbound shipments as needed
- Approves or disputes all invoices related to shipping and/or receiving
- Ensures shipping and receiving area is maintained in an organized, clean, safe and secure manner
- Provides assistance and coverage to other functions of Supply Chain & Logistics including Inventory Control and Purchasing
- Assists in pulling out documents where required (e.g. external audits, special requests)
- Ensures the adherence to and support of the ISO 9001:2008 standards as well as Company policies and procedures
- Follows workplace operating and environmental, health, safety and procedural guidelines
- 2 year college diploma in Business Administration or equivalent, and/or relevant experience; courses or seminars on regulations for Customs, Brokerage, NAFTA, Canada and U.S. Customs, etc.
- 2-4 years of experience in related duties
- Above average attention to detail
- Ability to focus on tasks in noisy environment
- Proven time management and prioritization skills
- Effective communication, negotiation and interpersonal skills
- Thorough knowledge of applicable and relevant shipping regulations, receiving & inventory best practices
- Ability to operate applicable hand and power tools as needed
- Ability and willingness to drive a forklift
- Must be able to lift heavy objects
In 1977, OSI introduced the first generation electronic chart system for the maritime market and revolutionized navigation. Over the years we have had many firsts. Today, OSI Maritime Systems is a leading provider of integrated navigation and tactical solutions designed for naval and maritime security operations. Among those solutions, the company develops and delivers integrated bridge systems for warships, integrated dived navigation systems for submarines, and C2 systems for small craft. Presently, 23 navies totaling more than 600 warships and submarines operate using OSI systems.
Due to the nature of our company, all employees must pass specific security criteria. Only candidates who are Canadian citizens, have PR status or have a citizenship from a NATO country, and who satisfy security clearance criteria, will be considered.
While our offices are conveniently located in Burnaby near Willingdon and Hwy 1, at OSI we take our responsibility to protect our employees very seriously therefore, due to Covid-19, the majority of our employees are working remotely. We will be constantly monitoring Government advice and will take action accordingly.
Recruiting during Covid-19
To protect our employees and candidates we have gone virtual. We reach out by phone and conduct video interviews with the hiring team. We transition from shaking hands to virtual high fives! This shall pass, remember to Be Kind, Be Calm, Be Safe.
We have a Professional Development program in place that supports our employees in their career development by providing funds, time, and opportunities to become better at what they do.
At OSI you can make a difference. We are a change willing organization that is always looking for new ideas. We strive to improve what it is we do and how we do it. If you have ideas we would love to hear about them.
OSI fosters an inclusive and diverse culture. We celebrate our diversity and strive to be more inclusive because it makes us a better company.