In 1977, OSI introduced the first generation electronic chart system for the maritime market and revolutionized navigation. Over the years we have had many firsts. Today, OSI Maritime Systems is a leading provider of integrated navigation and tactical solutions designed for naval and maritime security operations. Among those solutions, the company develops and delivers integrated bridge systems for warships, integrated dived navigation systems for submarines, and C2 systems for small craft. Presently, 23 navies totaling more than 600 warships and submarines operate using OSI systems.
Due to the nature of our company, all employees must pass specific security criteria. Only candidates who are Canadian citizens, have PR status or have a citizenship from a NATO country, and who satisfy security clearance criteria, will be considered.
While our offices are conveniently located in Burnaby near Willingdon and Hwy 1, at OSI we take our responsibility to protect our employees very seriously therefore, due to Covid-19, the majority of our employees are working remotely. We will be constantly monitoring Government advice and will take action accordingly.
Recruiting during Covid-19
To protect our employees and candidates we have gone virtual. We reach out by phone and conduct video interviews with the hiring team. We transition from shaking hands to virtual high fives! This shall pass, remember to Be Kind, Be Calm, Be Safe.
The Senior Electrical Engineer is part of the engineering team that develops marine navigation and bridge systems for OSI’s government and naval markets that offer market leading performance and reliability, minimize production costs and are maintainable over an extended lifecycle. The Electrical Engineer 4 leads and executes the electrical design.
- Leads detailed studies, experiments, research and tests for the design and development of navigation system products to established codes, standards, drawings, specifications and customer requirements for both commercial and military customers
- Leads the electrical design based on COTS, military grade products and customized solutions which includes the approval of parts and components
- Writes and maintains Company’s electrical standards and best practices
- Trains and mentors Electrical Engineers on Company’s electrical standards and best practices
- Approves elements of the Company’s parts database
- Interprets, analyzes, and approves hardware requirements, hardware design documents, and ensures the proposed solution meets the stated requirements
- Leads the creation of electrical schematics, block diagrams, cable lists and drawings to prescribed standards
- Ensures designs are optimized for adherence to EMI/EMC standards
- Prepares and approves written plans, calculations, designs, specifications and material lists
- Leads and reviews technical tasks requiring accuracy of calculations, completeness of data and adherence to prescribed methods.
- Interprets, analyzes, and approves design data for feasibility studies and reports, making recommendations on technical problem resolution
- Provides design information and guidance to support personnel and suppliers for detailed design, design testing and prototype fabrication.
- Ensures that designs meet system, customer and budgetary requirements and are compliant with industry and government standards
- Clearly communicates technical and design documentation to other departments
- Initiates and approves engineering change request (ECRs)
- Follows and promotes workplace operating and environmental, health and safety procedures and guidelines
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering plus 8+ years of practical electrical engineering experience, including a minimum of 2 years in the marine industry
- Demonstrated knowledge of EMI, EMC effects and test procedures
- Working knowledge of digital and analog electrical circuits
- In-depth knowledge of product certification testing to civilian and military standards
- Proven ability to analyze and solve hardware problems
- Working knowledge of SolidWorks Electrical and AutoCAD
- Familiarity with MS Office Suite and SharePoint
- Working knowledge of peripheral equipment, test, diagnostic and measuring equipment
- ·Ability to thrive as a leader and member of a Project team
- ·Organized, able to handle multiple projects and prioritize workload
- ·Experience implementing shipbuilding codes and standards for example: Lloyds Rules
- ·Ability to lead design in a strategic manner taking into consideration reliability, ease of manufacture, and cost
We have a Professional Development program in place that supports our employees in their career development by providing funds, time, and opportunities to become better at what they do.
At OSI you can make a difference. We are a change willing organization that is always looking for new ideas. We strive to improve what it is we do and how we do it. If you have ideas we would love to hear about them.
OSI fosters an inclusive and diverse culture. We celebrate our diversity and strive to be more inclusive because it makes us a better company.
We also offer great benefits: extended health and dental plan