In 1977, OSI introduced the first generation electronic chart system for the maritime market and revolutionized navigation. Over the years we have had many firsts. Today, OSI Maritime Systems is a leading provider of integrated navigation and tactical solutions designed for naval and maritime security operations. Among those solutions, the company develops and delivers integrated bridge systems for warships, integrated dived navigation systems for submarines, and C2 systems for small craft. Presently, 23 navies totaling more than 600 warships and submarines operate using OSI systems.
Due to the nature of our company, all employees must pass specific security criteria. Only candidates who are Canadian citizens, have PR status or have a citizenship from a NATO country, and who satisfy security clearance criteria, will be considered.
If you are looking to grow and develop your proven ability to lead a multi-disciplinary engineering community in a matrixed project centric environment then we want to hear from you. OSI Maritime Systems Ltd, a leading provider of complex integrated navigation solutions to the premier navies of the world, is looking for a Director of Engineering to help us on our rapid growth path. As a senior member of the System Delivery division management team you will be instrumental in taking OSI to the next level. We are looking for an engineering leader who can communicate the vision to a broad range of engineering domains and drive through new methods and techniques aimed at innovation in design and increasing customer satisfaction.
The Engineering Department forms a key part of the Systems Delivery Division and plays a fundamental role in the design and delivery of multiple concurrent, multi-year, complex projects to our customers. The Director, Engineering provides leadership to the following engineering domains; Systems Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, ILS Engineering, Technical Publications and CAD. The Engineering Department is responsible for the provision of people, tools and processes to projects that when combined provide the means for the project team to meet customer and business expectations for performance, cost and time.
The main responsibilities include:
Decision making & authority;
- Provide leadership and direction to the following domains with the Engineering Department; Systems Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, ILS Engineering, Tech Pubs and CAD.
- Leadership of the hiring and training of engineers and technicians to meet the consolidated resource demand from the PMO
- Maintain a broad understanding of the IMO regulations as they apply to Navigation Systems
- Maintain an appreciation of Military Standards of the US/Can/UK/Aus, in particular those relevant to: shock, vibration, environmental and electromagnetic compatibility
- Create a structure and foster a culture within the engineering department, that enables the cost effective and efficient flow of Requirements through design to manufacture and support, governed by meaningful gates and check points
- Collaborate closely with the PMO to ensure the provision of suitably qualified and experienced people and services to projects, this will include the best use of out-sourced contract engineering services
- Work in partnership with the Technical Director and Director Operations to ensure that Engineering processes and outputs align seamlessly with the Operation’s work flows, processes and procedures
- Liaise and collaborate with the Product Development Division to ensure that software and hardware product outputs are effectively incorporated into the system design workflow
- Champion a culture of cost control, design to budget, design for manufacture and risk based design decisions
- Provide metrics and indicators for use within the Department, the Division and the wider business, in support of continuous improvement
- Support and leverage the project matrix structure in support of the efficient execution of concurrent complex projects
- Promote and implement best practice for all sub-domain areas within the department
- Facilitate and cultivate a culture and environment of continuous improvement
- Contribute as an active member of the Systems Delivery Management Team
- Maintain, nurture and advocate for, a diverse and inclusive workforce
- Authority over all functions within the Engineering Department
- Single point accountability for functions within the Engineering Department
- Decision making authority within the confines of meeting the Project demands of the Engineering Department
- Applies judgment and facilitates participative decision making to solve complex issues
- Signing authority as per the Company’s signing authority matrix
- Expected to understand the Company’s objectives and limitations
- The successful applicant is expected to have gained the majority of their experience on one of the sub-domains of the department, with a particular strength in complex system design and delivery
- 15+ years of relevant experience in Engineering Design, Production Engineering or related Engineering discipline with a minimum of a bachelor’s degree in one of those domains. Master’s degree preferred.
- 10+ years of management and leadership experience of diverse teams across multiple domains with ever-increasing responsibility in a matrix construct.
We have a Professional Development program in place that supports our employees in their career development by providing funds, time, and opportunities to become better at what they do.
At OSI you can make a difference. We are a change willing organization that is always looking for new ideas. We strive to improve what it is we do and how we do it. If you have ideas we would love to hear about them.
OSI fosters an inclusive and diverse culture. We celebrate our diversity and strive to be more inclusive because it makes us a better company.
We also offer great benefits:
- Extended healthcare
- Dental care
- Group Retirement Savings Plan
- Emergency Travel Assistance
- Employee and Family Assistance Program