OSI is growing! We are expanding our facilities near Portsmouth, UK as part of our strategic growth plan in the EMEA region, and we are looking for experienced individuals with domain knowledge to join our amazing team.
In 1977, OSI introduced the first generation electronic chart system for the maritime market and revolutionized navigation. Over the years we have had many firsts. Today, OSI Maritime Systems is a leading provider of integrated navigation and tactical solutions designed for naval and maritime security operations. Among those solutions, the company develops and delivers integrated bridge systems for warships, integrated dived navigation systems for submarines, and C2 systems for small craft. Presently, 23 navies totaling more than 600 warships and submarines operate using OSI systems.
The Electrical Engineer is part of the engineering team that develops marine navigation and bridge systems for OSI’s government and naval markets that offer market leading performance and reliability, minimize production costs and are maintainable over an extended lifecycle. The Electrical Engineer designs, selects, evaluates and documents electrical/electronic components and their interconnection within the bridge systems.
- Performs detailed studies, experiments, research and tests in contributing to the design and development of navigation system products to established codes, standards, drawings, specifications and customer requirements for both commercial and military customers
- Contributes to the design of systems based on both COTS and military grade products and customized solutions which includes the recommendation of parts and components
- Updates and maintains the Company’s parts database
- Interprets and analyzes hardware requirements, produces hardware design documents, and ensures the proposed solution meets the stated requirements
- Creates electrical schematics, block diagrams, cable lists and drawings to prescribed standards
- Ensures designs are optimized for adherence to EMI/EMC standards
- Prepares written plans, calculations, designs, specifications and material lists
- Carries out technical tasks requiring accuracy of calculations, completeness of data and adherence to prescribed methods.
- Interprets and analyzes design data in preparing feasibility studies and prepares reports for assigned work, making recommendations on technical problem resolution within the scope of the assignment
- Provides design information and guidance to support personnel, and occasionally to suppliers, in preparation of detailed design, design testing and prototype fabrication.
- Ensures that designs meet system, customer and budgetary requirements and are compliant to industry and government standards
- Clearly communicates technical and design documentation to other departments
- Executes engineering change request (ECRs) as well as providing supporting justification data
- Follows workplace operating and environmental, health and safety procedures and guidelines
• Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering or related field plus 2-4 years of practical electrical engineering experience
• Knowledge of EMI, EMC effects and test procedures
• Working knowledge of digital and analog electrical circuits
• Working knowledge of product certification testing to civilian and military standards
• Proven ability to analyze and solve hardware problems
• Working knowledge of SolidWorks Electrical and AutoCAD
• Familiarity with MS Office Suite and SharePoint
• Knowledge of peripheral equipment, test, diagnostic and measuring equipment
• Ability to thrive as a member of a Project team
• Organized, able to handle multiple projects and prioritize workload
• Knowledge of Shipbuilding codes and standards for example: Lloyds Rules
• Ability to design in a strategic manner taking into consideration reliability, ease of manufacture, and cost
Due to the nature of our company, all employees must pass specific security criteria.
We have a Professional Development program in place that supports our employees in their career development by providing funds, time, and opportunities to become better at what they do.
At OSI you can make a difference. We are a change willing organization that is always looking for new ideas. We strive to improve what it is we do and how we do it. If you have ideas we would love to hear about them.
OSI fosters an inclusive and diverse culture. We celebrate our diversity and strive to be more inclusive because it makes us a better company.