In 1977, OSI introduced the first generation electronic chart system for the maritime market and revolutionized navigation. Over the years we have had many firsts. Today, OSI Maritime Systems is a leading provider of integrated navigation and tactical solutions designed for naval and maritime security operations. Among those solutions, the company develops and delivers integrated bridge systems for warships, integrated dived navigation systems for submarines, and C2 systems for small craft. Presently, 23 navies totaling more than 600 warships and submarines operate using OSI systems.
Due to the nature of our company, all employees must pass specific security criteria. Only candidates who are Canadian citizens, have PR status or have a citizenship from a NATO country, and who satisfy security clearance criteria, will be considered.
The Release Specialist supports OSI’s software development activities through the software lifecycle. The Release Specialist’s core responsibility is to release the software parts after code freeze, completing data entry and the coordination of information.
The Release Specialist must prepare a plan for the delivery of a software Parts Assembly (Bill of Materials). The plan includes details on logistics with regards to; licensing, installation procedures, software versioning, release notes, version description documents, and software parts management. The Release Specialist then follows the prepared release plan to ensure a smooth transition from the software code freeze into the software supportability phase. The Release Specialist will keep Release Notes for our software up to date on a regular basis and be prepared to publish release notes and software version descriptions with the final release. These tasks require strong written technical communication skills.
The Release Specialist will also need data entry and database skills to create parts and assemblies in PDXpert for the software sitting on the shelf. The Release Specialist will prepare assemblies for internal Software Deliveries to the OSI Project Teams. This includes producing project specific assemblies (BOMs), maintaining assemblies post customer deliveries, and producing as built assemblies for each deployed ship. The Release Specialist also documents and publishes Software Release Bulletins and Notifications.
The Release Specialist must be able to prepare software for multiple products, released in many combinations, to 20+ customers all with custom needs, supporting 3+ operating systems, and the complexity is growing.
Experience in the software lifecycle is key to understanding the different duties at different lifecycle stages. Strong communication skills are a necessity for interfacing and collaborating with many parts of the company when releasing the software. The Release Specialist must have leadership skills, and will chair meetings, including Software Release Meetings and Software Delivery Meetings. The position itself is part Technical Writer, part Data Entry, part Configuration Management, and part Software parts coordination, expertise in any of these disciplines is an asset.
• Produce the Software Release Plan for products, including logistics on: licensing, versioning, parts management, installation.
• Follow the Software Release Plan through to completion for a successful software release requiring collaboration with project managers and engineers.
• Prepare Software Delivery Plans for specific projects, assisting the Project Managers to prepare the software delivery details for a customer receiving previously released off the shelf products.
• Maintain Release Notes throughout the software development lifecycle.
• Prepare and publish Software Version Descriptions with the software release.
• Maintain Quality Assurance traceability of documents throughout the software lifecycle.
• Support the preparation of technical bulletins and notifications.
• Prepare installation documentation.
• Assist in the documentation of read me documents, system administration documents and environment specification documents.
• Analyze current processes and procedures to seek improvements, in particular a focus to enhance release management
• Provide training and prepare work instructions related to software parts management
• Degree or Diploma in Computer related disciplines or Technical Writing
• 2-5 years’ experience in Software/Systems Configuration within a complex software system environment
• Experience with software release practices
• Attention to detail
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Ability to handle multiple concurrent projects, prioritize and learn quickly in a high paced, challenging environment
• Required to obtain security clearance
• Understanding of the software lifecycle and the relevant ISO and CMMI processes related to building and releasing software
• Experience within naval / maritime industry an asset
This is a permanent part time position, 24 hours / week.
We have a Professional Development program in place that supports our employees in their career development by providing funds, time, and opportunities to become better at what they do.
At OSI you can make a difference. We are a change willing organization that is always looking for new ideas. We strive to improve what it is we do and how we do it. If you have ideas we would love to hear about them.
OSI fosters an inclusive and diverse culture. We celebrate our diversity and strive to be more inclusive because it makes us a better company.
We also offer great benefits:
- Extended healthcare
- Dental care
- Group Retirement Savings Plan
- Emergency Travel Assistance
- Employee and Family Assistance Program