In 1977, OSI introduced the first generation electronic chart system for the maritime market and revolutionized navigation. Over the years we have had many firsts. Today, OSI Maritime Systems is a leading provider of integrated navigation and tactical solutions designed for naval and maritime security operations. Among those solutions, the company develops and delivers integrated bridge systems for warships, integrated dived navigation systems for submarines, and C2 systems for small craft. Presently, 23 navies totaling more than 600 warships and submarines operate using OSI systems.
Due to the nature of our company, all employees must pass specific security criteria. Only candidates who are Canadian citizens, have PR status or have a citizenship from a NATO country, and who satisfy security clearance criteria, will be considered.
The Senior Software Engineer carries individual responsibility for the successful design and implementation of software subsystems and modules that the incumbent and team members have been assigned. The incumbent is responsible for designing, developing and troubleshooting complex software programs for computer-based systems, which may require extensive research. As a member of the Software Engineering team, the incumbent carries collective responsibility for the successful implementation of the Company’s software product releases and systems.
The main responsibilities are:
- Designs, writes code, completes programming and performs the testing and debugging of applications
- Prepares design proposals to reflect costs, time and alternative actions to satisfy existing and future needs
- Conducts detailed analysis of systems specifications and develops and documents designs that meet requirement standards
- Makes recommendations for changes to development guidelines and standards
- Identifies, analyses and resolves complex software inadequacies
- Participates in product design meetings, preparing requirements, and design specifications
- Assists in providing estimates to meet customer needs
- Ensures assigned projects follow schedule, informs management of unplanned slippage, and proposes corrective measures
- Reviews documentation developed by the Technical Writing department, and provides input/validation
- Assists with customer evaluation and testing of software products
- May work as project team leader; provides technical leadership to junior staff, as required
- Complies with OSI’s established ISO-9001-compliant development guidelines and standards
- Follows and ensures workplace operating and environmental, health and safety procedure and guideline compliance
- Degree in Computer Science, Electrical or Computer Engineering or Engineering Physics
- 8 - 10 years’ experience in a software environment; experience in developing real-time interfaces to external systems; experience working in an ISO 9001 compliant software engineering environment would be an asset; experience in the defense or aerospace domains is an asset
- Strong proficiency in C/C++ programming is highly desirable;
- Ability to lead the analysis and design of solutions for algorithmically complex requirements
- Ability to estimate and plan development lifecycle activities; strong theoretical and algorithmic background with experience in mathematical and/or geospatial applications
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to learn quickly and work well under pressure in a high paced, challenging environment; excellent team work skills
- Required to obtain security clearance; occasional travel; knowledge of marine navigation concepts and systems is an asset
We have a Professional Development program in place that supports our employees in their career development by providing funds, time, and opportunities to become better at what they do.
At OSI you can make a difference. We are a change willing organization that is always looking for new ideas. We strive to improve what it is we do and how we do it. If you have ideas we would love to hear about them.
OSI fosters an inclusive and diverse culture. We celebrate our diversity and strive to be more inclusive because it makes us a better company.
We also offer great benefits:
- Extended healthcare
- Dental care
- Group Retirement Savings Plan
- Emergency Travel Assistance
- Employee and Family Assistance Program